Our goal for Summer Reading, from the library’s perspective, is to have students read books for pleasure when they have more time to do so. Our Summer Reading List includes recommended reading that covers diverse topics and various reading levels. Students should have had a discussion about Summer Reading with their Advisory group before the end of the school year in June. They should be prepared to participate in a discussion about what they have read when they return back to school in the fall with their Advisory group.
Audio and Ebook Availability on Overdrive
Many of the titles are available in eBook or audio format from the LION catalog using Overdrive. With a LION barcode, books can be downloaded onto an eBook readers or listening devices.
A document listing Summer Reading books and their Overdrive Availability is attached under the Tab titled Summer Reading List General Info.
Links for Overdrive Help
Welcome to East Lyme High School Summer Reading Program
East Lyme High School
2014 Summer Reading Program
Students had three options this year:
Options (The student's Advisory Group will decide on one of those listed below):
- Each student reads one free choice book and one book from the recommended reading list.
- Members of the Advisory Group all read the same book over the summer to discuss as a group when they return and one free choice.
- Students will have two free choices.
*A Free Choice book should be at the appropriate reading level for the individual student and not part of the English Curriculum.
If a student doesn’t remember what their Advisory Group decided upon, have them do Option 1.
All incoming Freshmen and New Students should read one book from the recommended reading list and one free choice (Option 1)
All documents are available under the Summer Reading List General Info Tab on this Lib Guide Page.
The majority of books on our East Lyme High School Summer Reading list can be found at the East Lyme Public Library in a special section this summer. Most are also in the LION catalog where our students can place holds or reserves on them with their LION barcode.
Important Information for Borrowing Books from East Lyme Public Library
East Lyme Public Library maintains a collection of our summer reading books. Books from the High School are brought to East Lyme Public Library so that they can be circulated throughout the summer vacation.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE AND MINDFUL OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. Books may be borrowed for two weeks. They may be renewed for one additional week. If we follow this policy, students will have access to more books.
2. You MUST have an East Lyme Public LIbrary card to check out books from ELPL. Salem students: to borrow books from ELPL, you must bring your Salem Public Library card with you.
3. Public library cards must be valid (check expiration date and update if necessary).